Fujairah Collage

Fujairah Collage
Some distinctive landmarks in Fujairah

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Searching for the Finest Coffee in Fujairah UAE

There are a few coffee shops that have opened recently in Fujairah and I am looking for the one that consistently serves the best brew.

My search is an important one because I am living in the region where coffee qahwa (قهوة) was first discovered. One would expect to be able to drink the best coffee in these parts.

My quest for the holy grail of coffee is also motivated by health, in which some researchers believe that coffee appears to ward off Alzheimer’s but also because I find the aroma and taste of a good coffee to be a total experience.

I am not looking for the most expensive coffee like the Civet coffee I tried in Indonesia. This is the ‘crap’ coffee made from beans swallowed and passed through the civet cat which is good right to the last dropping.

Fujairah Coffee Brands
The Fujairah Country Club had a Costa coffee shop in their premises but now this has gone and Costa has opened up two shops within the Fujairah Higher Colleges of Technology (HCT). Unfortunately these are not public cafés where anyone can roll in at any time and have a coffee.

The Hilton Hotel is serving Gloria Jeans coffee in their restaurant.

The new Fujairah Harbour Club within the marina has LavAzza coffee.

The even newer Faseel Café has a sign outside declaring, “We are proudly brewing Starbucks coffee.” The Faseel Café and Siji Hotel Apartment staff members are currently undertaking training.

Progress Report
In my search for the finest coffee I have tasted some very good coffee at different places but sometimes when I have returned I have been served a coffee that was weak, insipid and tasted like mud. One day I sent a coffee back saying it was too cold.

I am not looking for the one-off champion cup but coffee which is consistently superior and can be relied upon when you invite guests to join with you.

I am convinced that it is not just the coffee brand or coffee machine that is the key element (although good beans and tools are important) but the vital factor is the training of the baristas (coffeemakers).

Got a Recommendation?
Let me know if you have found the place where the best coffee is served in Fujairah. Better still, invite me to come and taste it with you.

Drinking fine coffee is all part of getting through the daily grind.

Dr Geoff Pound

Geoff can be contacted by email at geoffpound(at)gmail.com on Facebook and Twitter.

Image: “The vital factor is the training of the baristas (coffeemakers).”

No comments: